What we do:
* The society is student-led and organises activities each year based on interests and skills.
* Our main focus in this society is fundraising much needed funds and resources for the charity organisation, St. Vincent de Paul, in Ireland (and abroad!). We do this by holding social events, bake sales and food/ clothes drives etc.
* We run regular social justice workshops to enhance our understanding of certain issues being faced.
* There are opportunities for students to engage in a variety of direct contact work, including with children, older people, people experiencing homelessness and people in college. However, for these roles you need to be Garda Vetted and trained so it can take a while to get this going. (No Garda Vetting needed for fundraising so we can start that straight away!)
* Last but not least, we organise meetings every week to plan events and socialise with other members. Hopefully, we will be able to get our in-person meetings (with free pizza!!) going very soon.
Here's a little extra information on St. Vincent de Paul...
The St. Vincent de Paul is the largest, voluntary, charitable organisation
It is a society that is working for social justice and the creation
of a more just, caring nation. The aim of the St
Vincent de Paul Society is to tackle poverty in all
its forms through the provision of practical
assistance to those in need.
SVP has seen a huge increase in people calling
on us for help in regions like Dublin, Cork and
Galway. In Dublin alone, SVP have received
almost a 100% increase in calls for assistance over
the last two years. Many of these calls are coming
from families with young children; in fact 65% of calls
this year have come from parents with young families
who requesting help to pay for food, heating, mortgage
payments or other basic necessities. (www.svp.ie)
Wednesdays at 6 pm
We discuss upcoming plans and brainstorm ideas for fundraising
Check your emails for information on meetings :)
Follow us on Instagram (svpsocietynuig) and Twitter (@svpnuig)